The deceptively beautiful scenery looking away from the school, up to the dump. I mentioned before that one of my goals my time here has been to nurture dreams in the hearts of the kids which God has planted to inspire them to strive to get out of the trap of the garbage dump. Today I tried to continue this by reading them a couple more books, "I want to be a nurse" and "I want to be a truck driver." As I read about the nurse they were all silent as they stared at the pictures while I read descriptions about what nurses do and who they help. If that wasn't good enough, the book about truck drivers was a huge hit! The boys, Carlos and Josue, asked me to read it again, and again. By the third time I sent them off to look at it on their own because Paola (and I) lost interest. In our culture, which measures success by income and prestige, a truck driver isn't a profession that many kids aspire to be. I'm not sure what the determining factor was- the chance to travel and see new things; the possibility of playing an important part in the delivery of food and goods; or maybe just the chance to drive a big, shiny truck. But they were hooked. It was a cool thing to witness.
The wall of postcardsGoing along with that, all of the kids at AFE have just been given a chance to learn more about the world. When Courtney Haynoski visited the school with the Washington Cathedral mission team last week, she brought with her a stack of postcards she'd collected on her journeys backpacking through Europe last month. Today a group of teachers and students spent the morning with some gluesticks, scissors, and construction paper to create a beautiful display showcasing the colorful scenes from Greece, Italy, Belgium, and various other countries across the continent. I could see curiosity sparked on several of the students' faces as they glanced at the postcards in the hall after recess. It's simple things like postcards and books that are expanding their world, showing them that, yes, there is another world out there that's yours to explore and be a part of. Whether they become nurses, truck drivers, or travel agents, they'll be doing something that interests and inspires them. Please continue to pray that God would use people in Honduras to bless these kids and help them defeat what is perhaps the sharpest blade on poverty's multifaceted sword- hopelessness. And thank you for the support you've already given!
But all is not well, however. Dreams alone won't get kids out of the dump- it will take hard work on their parts and on the parts of the teachers, pastors, and prayer warriors working with them. One problem with this is that AFE has not been able to keep a steady teacher for the kindergarten class. Today I realized with sadness that even though I've started to really feel comfortable with the kids, I'll be leaving in only three and a half weeks. Please pray that God would send the right person to teach the class after I've left, and that they would commit to staying for at least a year. If the kids do not feel a need to go to school when they are young, they may stop coming and never come back. I'm already concerned about two students, Joselin and Milton, that haven't been to school in at least a week and a half.
Thank you for all your prayers, comments, and continued support. If you're reading this and haven't commented yet, I'd love to know who you are so I know who's reading this. Dios les bendiga!

Look at the progress being made on the kitchen and cafeteria!

5 comments:
Kelly,
We will continue to pray for these students and the school, especially the Kindergarten class. I believe that showing them that there is a world of possiblities out there beyond the dump is making a HUGE impact on their dreams and visions for the future. But YES they do need to keep coming to school. And there are obviously many obstacles to that in their community. We are praying and God is working! love, Mom & Dad
Hi Kelly,
Will specifically add the kindergarten class to my prayer request list.
Could you do me a favor and tell Calex, Levia and Karen I said Hello to them and just let them know that I fondly remember my interactions with them the past two years. And, that, God willing, I would love to be there next year again too!
thanks, Karen
I think I may have spelled a name wrong, since I see you spelled it differently in a photo caption. Maybe it is Leyby I want you to say Hello to. Does she have a brother named Cristia (or something similar)? It looks like him in the water photo.
I'm sure you will find the right child!!! (Their mom often cooks the lunch. You can tell her Hi too! Oh, and Candida (Calex's Mom, if you see her). Please. Thanks
Kelly the things you are doing are just amazing. I remember when I first met you and you were this little girl. Awesome job. Kiss Elijah for me.
-Jamie White
Hi! I'm glad the school is using Courtney's postcards. I know she would be pleased. I know you don't want to leave your kids there but your girls here certainly miss you too. Remember you are needed here also. I sat in with Gigi and all the girls last night because I only had one 7th grader and they were asking about you! Chelsea's mom said Chelsea can't wait to see you too. Your leadership here is really important! Love you girl and I'm very proud of who you are!
Paula
Post a Comment