Tuesday, July 29, 2008

When I Grow Up...

Things have been progressing pretty well at AFE this week. It is still definitely a challenge teaching five kids who don't come consistently who I've only known for a week, while speaking my second language! Still, everyday it seems like I'm finding out more about them that makes it easier. Today I asked them all what they wanted to be when they grew up, and they had no idea. I don't think they really consider anything outside of the small world they know, which is the dump and AFE, their school. So I found a couple of books that talk about things you can be when you grow up. One was called "Quiero ser maestro" (I want to be a teacher) and one was "Quiero ser veterenario." They loved them! They seemed so interested. So I've decided that even though it's hard to know what kind of goals to set as far as reading, writing, and math, one of my primary goals is to get them to dream about their futures. God has dreams for them, the teachers at AFE have dreams for them, now they need to have dreams for themselves before their hope gets lost amongst the trash. Please pray that God would put big dreams in the hearts of Joselin, Josue, Milton, Paola, and Carlos!

In other words, we had a huge breakthrough this weekend. After months of trying and an 8-hour ordeal at the utilities office, Rey and Jeony got permission to hook AFE up to electricity! Prior to this we had been working with the natural sunlight (which is definitely easier here than in Seattle!). But some of the rooms and offices, because of their positioning, remained pretty dark. This will open up enormous possibilities for the school!

You might be wondering where my pictures are for this post. Well, today I had a miracle moment when all three of the kids were sitting down, quietly, doing the work I gave them. I couldn't even believe it and I seized the opportunity to take a picture. Instead of taking the picture, what did my camera say to me? "No battery." It figures! I feel like I am telling the story of "the one that got away." No one will ever believe me! Maybe next time... (yeah right)... Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Rey, Elise, and Elijah said...

Kelly, you are doing great work here and the kids are benefiting from your loving heart and fun attitude more than you know!

- Albert Einstein

Carol Gerzsenye said...

Kelly,
You have made a huge and wonderful discovery to help these children understand that YES, they do have a future, and God has a wonderful plan for it. You are helping them to dream & think about their future possibilities! How excellent. Keep up the great work in loving these kids and helping them reach their potential in Christ.
We will be praying for each of these children every day! God bless you! Love, Mom & David